While it is cool to see what they come up with, most are too time consuming or expensive for me try to make, but I fell in love with Zac Young's dessert that is to represent Julie Andrews, Mascarpone Cheesecake With Cap'n Crunch and Tarragon Sugar. I absolutely love the idea of Cap'n Crunch as the base and the Tarragon Sugar is a unique twist that I want to try.
Photo from website
Here is the recipe from Top Chef: Just Desserts - recipe by Challene Winner Zak Young .
Captain Von Trapp Crunch Tart Shell:
- 8 ounces Captain Crunch (finely ground)
- 5 ounces flour (all purpose)
- 3 ounces sugar
- Pinch salt
- 8 ounces butter (melted)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 leaves of tarragon (fresh)
- 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
DirectionsCaptain Von Trapp Crunch Tart Shell:
1. Mix dry, stir in butter.
2. Press into 1.5” mini tart shells (or mini cake tins) in a thin layer.
3. Freeze for one hour.
4. Bake at 325 for 15min.
5. While still warm, reshape shells up sides of pans.
1. Cream the cream cheese and sugar and eggs at one time.
2. Add juice and zest and extract.
3. Add mascarpone
4. Perfect emulsion with hand blender.
5. Fill tart shells with batter and bate at 300 degrees F with low fan for about 20min (till firm).
6. Cool, refrigerate till firm.
1. Dry tarragon in 250 degree F oven for about 10 minutes.
2. Process with sugar in Robot coupe.
1. Sprinkle tarragon sugar over tart."
For more information on the show, the contestants and other recipes click here.